Contactless Pick Up Service
By Nicole Andrews on June 16th, 2020
Contactless pick up service starts June 18!
Holds pick-up service is the first stage in WBRL’s gradual plan to resume and re-imagine physical library services. Contactless pickup hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 1pm-6pm from the back entrance of the WBRL.
WBRL takes the health and safety of all patrons and employees very seriously and we are following all recommendations of the provincial government and AHS. We will be continually monitoring this service and making adjustments as necessary moving forward.
How Contactless Pickup Works
- You can place holds on WBRL materials beginning June 13. Holds can be placed using the online catalogue at wbrl.ca
- You will receive notification when the items are ready for pickup. Please wait to be notified prior to visiting the library.
- Holds pickup will be available Tuesday and Thursdays between 1 and 6 pm. *Starting July 2, pick up will be available Tuesdays to Saturdays between 1 and 6pm.
- Please bring your library card to pick up your holds. If you have an online card, please bring your card number and photo identification.
- When you arrive, please call 780-743-7804. WBRL staff will direct you regarding your pickup.
- Please ensure physical distancing at the pickup location.
Temporary Changes to Borrowing
- Holds are for WBRL patrons and WBRL materials only, some restrictions may apply.
- The loan period is increasing to 28 days (four weeks) for all items.
- The maximum number of items available for checkout is 20 items per card.
- There are no late fines for any library materials at this time.
- You will be contacted by WBRL staff when your holds are available for pickup.
- If you are sick, please do not return any library materials.
- You can return your items (books, videos, CDs, etc.) to any of our external book drop locations:
- Entrance of Suncor Community Leisure Centre - MacDonald Island Park
- Save on Foods - Thickwood
- Michelle's Independent - Timberlea
- Please do NOT return Fun Boxes, Kits or Equipment at this time.
- There may be a delay on checking in returned materials due to:
- the volume of materials to check in
- we are quarantining all returned materials for 72 hours
Therefore, items may remain on your account for some time after you return them. However, there will not be any extended use fees charged. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I do not know how to place a hold?
Chat with us on our website (click the small red chat button) weekdays between 8am and 4pm, email email@example.com or check out our video tutorial that outlines the simple steps to placing a hold on an item.
What if the book I want to request does not have an option to Place Hold on the website?
Not all of the books that may come up in search will be available in print. We have many resources that are electronic resources. Currently only resources with a Place Hold option are available for contactless pickup. For assistance with e-resources please visit our online chat on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don’t have internet, can I call in my holds?
Currently holds must be placed online at wbrl.ca using your library account. As our service expands during July we will provide phone-in service for patrons who do not have internet access.
Can someone else pick up my holds?
Materials can only be checked out to the cardholder or guardian. If you would like to have someone else from your household pick up your holds made on your card, please advise us at email@example.com we can make the note on your account.
Do I need a mobile phone to pick up my holds when I arrive at the library?
Yes, you will need to call 780-743-7804 when you arrive to pick up your holds.
What safety measures are you implementing?
All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before being checked in. Not all library materials can be sanitized, though quarantining items can help ensure they are safe to handle. Staff are following recommended safety guidelines for handling material.
Do I need to bring a bag with me to pick up my holds?
No, we will provide a bag for your pickup.
What if I can’t pick up my holds on Tuesdays or Thursdays during your pickup times?
We will be expanding our hours for pickup July 2, so stay tuned for more availability for pickup times!
What if I need help choosing a title, or just want a variety of children’s books? Is there an easier way to “order” books?
We will be expanding our services July 2 to include these types of options. Stay tuned!
Will I be charged late fees for my items checked out prior to the closure of the library?
As of March 16 (first day of closure) all extended use fees stopped accruing. No additional extended use fees will accrue while we are closed.
I live in one of Wood Buffalo’s rural communities. How can I access this contactless pickup service?
Patrons in all Wood Buffalo communities can place books on hold online. Staff will contact you to set up details for delivery to your community, or to arrange books by mail. If you have questions regarding service to our rural communities please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I come in to browse the collection?
At this time, WBRL remains closed to the public, and there is no public access through the front doors in MacDonald Island.
Can I donate materials?
WBRL will not be accepting donated items at this time.
What happens when I place an item on hold online?
Once you select an item to place on hold - the system flags the item as requested; library staff find the item on the shelf; the item is placed on hold for you; the hold is set aside; you are notified your hold is ready; you pick up your item using contactless pickup service during the designated hours.
How to use WBRL’s Curbside Collection service:
Place Your Holds:
- Access our catalogue online
- Log in to "My Account" using your library card number and PIN
- Select your items and click "Place Hold" to place a hold
- Wait for notification from WBRL staff that your items are ready for pickup
- Visit WBRL back entrance for contactless pickup
When you arrive at the library, please observe the following instructions:
- Park your vehicle in one of the designated spots in the Contactless Pickup area
- Call 780-743-7804 to notify staff of your arrival
- You will be asked for your name and phone number to verify your account (you may need your library card or photo ID)
- Staff will place bagged items on a table for pickup just outside the back entrance doors. Staff will direct you when to approach to pick up your bagged items to ensure social distancing
- Please do not approach staff; staff are not able to take returned items from patrons during the Contactless Pickup process. Returns can be made in any of our external book return bins
- Once you pick up your items please vacate your parking spot immediately so that other patrons may use it