The Latest on WBRL's Contactless Pick Up Service
By Nicole Andrews on June 16th, 2020
As we continue to expand our first stage of service in WBRL's gradual plan to reimagine physical library services, contactless pick up is now available Tuesday through Saturday, 1-6pm, from the back entrance of WBRL.
WBRL takes the health and safety of all patrons and employees very seriously and we are following all recommendations of the provincial government and AHS. We will be continually monitoring this service and making adjustments as necessary moving forward.
How Contactless Pick Up Works
- Holds can be placed 24/7 using the online catalogue. Here is a quick "how to" video. Don't have access to the internet? Book Match Service will be available by phone (780-665-4712) Tuesdays through Saturdays from 1:30-5:30pm for those without internet access.
- You will receive notification by email when the items are ready for pickup. Please wait to be notified prior to visiting the library.
- Holds pickup will be available Tuesday to Saturday between 1 and 6 pm at the back entrance of the library.
- Please bring your library card to pick up your holds. If you have an online card, please bring your card number and photo identification.
- When you arrive, please call 780-743-7804. WBRL staff will direct you regarding your pickup.
- Please ensure physical distancing at the pickup location.
Temporary Changes to Borrowing
- Holds are for WBRL patrons and WBRL materials only, some restrictions may apply.
- The loan period is increasing to 28 days (four weeks) for all items.
- The maximum number of items available for checkout is 20 items per card.
- There are no late fines for any library materials at this time.
- You will be contacted by WBRL staff when your holds are available for pickup.
- If you are sick, please do not return any library materials.
- You can return your items (books, videos, CDs, etc.) to any of our external book drop locations:
- Entrance of Suncor Community Leisure Centre - MacDonald Island Park
- Save on Foods - Thickwood
- Michelle's Independent - Timberlea
- Please do NOT return Fun Boxes, Kits or Equipment at this time.
- There may be a delay on checking in returned materials due to:
- the volume of materials to check in
- we are quarantining all returned materials for 72 hours
Therefore, items may remain on your account for some time after you return them. However, there will not be any extended use fees charged. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Curious about how our Contactless Pick-Up Service works? Check out our library staff getting all the books ready for you to pick up!
What if I do not know how to place a hold?
Chat with us on our website (click the small red chat button) Tuesdays-Saturdays between 10:30am and 5:30pm, email email@example.com or check out our video tutorial that outlines the simple steps to placing a hold on an item.
What if the book I want to request does not have an option to Place Hold on the website?
Not all of the books that may come up in search will be available in print. We have many resources that are electronic resources. Currently only resources with a Place Hold option are available for contactless pickup. For assistance with e-resources please visit our online chat on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I call in my holds?
The best way to place holds on items 24/7 is online. If you do not have access to the internet, please call 780-665-4712 Tues-Sat between 1:30-5:30pm for a Book Match Service staff member to assist you in placing your holds for pickup. If you leave a message we will get back to you the next working day or as soon as possible.
What happens when I place a hold on an item using the website?
Once you select to place an item on hold - the system flags the item as requested; library staff find the item on the shelf; the item is placed on hold for you; the hold is set aside; you are notified your hold is ready; you pick up your item using our contactless pick-up service. Check out this video for a sneak peek behind the scenes!
I placed books on hold - when will they be ready?
Placing a book on hold puts you in a queue to have that book checked out to you. If the book is on the shelf, you should receive a confirmation email within a few days. If the book happens to be checked out by another patron, or if there have been hold requests placed prior to yours, your request will remain in a numbered queue until the book becomes available. It may be several days or even weeks until that item will be available for you. You can check the status of your holds by accessing your account online.
Can someone else pick up my holds?
Materials can only be checked out to the cardholder or guardian. If you would like to have someone else from your household pick up your holds made on your card, please advise us at email@example.com we can make the note on your account.
Do I need a mobile phone to pick up my holds when I arrive at the library?
Yes, you will need to call 780-743-7804 when you arrive to pick up your holds.
What safety measures are you implementing?
All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before being checked in. Not all library materials can be sanitized, though quarantining items can help ensure they are safe to handle. Staff are following recommended safety guidelines for handling material.
Do I need to bring a bag with me to pick up my holds?
No, we will provide a bag for your pickup.
What if I can't pick up my holds during your pickup times?
We are open for holds pickup Tuesday-Saturday from 1-6pm. If you cannot come to the library during those times, you can authorize a family member or trusted friend to pick up your items for you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to arranging pickup to have an alternate authorized user added to your account.
What if I need help choosing a title, or just want a variety of children’s books? Is there an easier way to “order” books?
Yes! Our online Book Match Service can recommend books for you based on your preferences. This form can also help busy parents quickly request a group of books for your child by simply checking off an age level on the form. Our Book Match staff will select, place on hold and surprise you with a carefully selected group of picture books or board books for contactless pick-up!
Do I have to renew my items?
We have turned on auto-renewals, so your items will automatically renew if no one else has requested it, and if you have not passed the maximum renewals per item (3). If you would like to make sure that you have more time with your item, you can access your account online and renew the items early.
Will I be charged extended use fees (late fees)?
As of March 16, we stopped charging extended use fees. While the library remains closed, there will be no new extended use fees. Your items will still be overdue it the system is unable to renew them; we ask that you return the items on or before their due date so the next person can borrow it. Any fees accumulated prior to March 16 will remain on your account.
I live in one of Wood Buffalo’s rural communities. How can I access this contactless pickup service?
Patrons in all Wood Buffalo communities can place books on hold online. Staff will contact you to set up details for delivery to your community, or to arrange books by mail. If you have questions regarding service to our rural communities please email email@example.com.
Can I come in to browse the collection?
At this time, WBRL remains closed to the public, and there is no browsing access in the library.
Can I donate materials?
WBRL will not be accepting donated items at this time.
Are ebooks still available?
Yes! You can access our e-book/e-resource collections 24/7 online at wbrl.ca. For assistance in downloading an e-book to your device you can reach out to our onlinechat or call 780-665-4712 Tuesday-Saturday 1:30-5:30 pm.
How to use WBRL’s Contactless Pick Up Service:
Place Your Holds:
- Access our catalogue online
- Log in to "My Account" using your library card number and PIN
- Select your items and click "Place Hold" to place a hold
- Wait for notification from WBRL staff that your items are ready for pickup
- Visit WBRL back entrance for contactless pickup
When you arrive at the library, please observe the following instructions:
- Park your vehicle in one of the designated spots in the Contactless Pickup area
- Call 780-743-7804 to notify staff of your arrival
- You will be asked for your name and phone number to verify your account (you may need your library card or photo ID)
- Staff will place bagged items on a table for pickup just outside the back entrance doors. Staff will direct you when to approach to pick up your bagged items to ensure social distancing
- Please do not approach staff; staff are not able to take returned items from patrons during the Contactless Pickup process. Returns can be made in any of our external book return bins
- Once you pick up your items please vacate your parking spot immediately so that other patrons may use it