COVID-19 and WBRL
By Nicole Andrews on March 13th, 2020
Wood Buffalo Regional Library is focused on the health and safety of all our patrons and staff. As of March 14, we will be closed to the public until further notice.
What is novel coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some cause respiratory illness in people, ranging from mild common colds to severe illnesses. Others cause illness in animals. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people, and more rarely, these can then spread from person to person through close contact. Novel coronaviruses are new strains of the virus that have not been previously identified in humans (Alberta Health Services).
Steps WBRL is taking to mitigate the risk and spread of this virus:
- As of March 14, we will be closed to the public until further notice.
- All programs, events & community bookings are cancelled until further notice.
- Our online collections will still be available! Access hoopla, OverDrive, and RBDigital under Online Resources.
- We ask that you hold on to your library materials at this time and appreciate your assistance in the matter. Bookdrops will be unavailable. Extended use fees will not accrue during a library closure.
- Currently have items on hold? They will remain on hold for 1 week after we reopen (even if they show as expired on your online account).
- During the closure we will not be taking inquiries via email or telephone.
Need a Membership or Renewal?
- Need a FREE membership to visit us virtually while we are closed? Go to our online catalogue and select Log In. From there, select Register and you can sign up for your membership!
- Has your card expired? Email email@example.com
- If you are looking to use our online resources, your PIN is either the last 4 digits of your barcode OR the last 4 digits of the phone number you signed up with.
- Thanks to our friends at TumbleBooks, we have access to 4 new resources that do not require log in.
- There are also other educational and entertainment resources available with no membership.
Help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often and well
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- Contact your primary health provider or Health Link 811 if you have questions or concerns about your health
- When sick, cover your cough and sneezes and then wash your hands
Here are some helpful links to ensure you are getting the most accurate information out there:
COVID-19 Myth busters (World Health Organization)
Information for Albertans (Alberta Health Services)